geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Warning of change in configId format
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 23:41:24 GMT
Aaron,

I think you have summed it up best when you used this example:

> My understanding of "packaged configurations" is "you take whatever's
> in config-store/22 and zip it" -- now you have a "packaged
> configuration" or "CAR" and the repository was never involved.  If you
> want to move that to a different server, you pass the ZIP/CAR to the
> other server, it picks the next available config-store ID (say, 44)
> and unzips the thing into config-store/44.  Again, no repository
> involved.

So think about this.  If we were to stick that zip file into a global
maven repository, anyone would be able to download and install that
configuration into their server.  All we need is for the
configuration to have a groupId, artifactId and version.  This is
exactly what David has been working on, and what I ran into while
working on the idea of a plugin based server (using OSGi + Maven +
XBean).  This is why David and I have been talking about the concept
of configurationIds == maven repository id.

There is another subtle question buried in your text.  If the
configuration is kept in the repository, it should be static, so
where does the server specific configuration information go?
Currently, almost all of this information goes into the var/config/
config.xml (IMNOHO this file should be named server.xml) with the
very notable exception of gbeans added to a configuration by the
console.  In the case of new GBeans, these get saved back to the
configuration in config-store/${config-num}/META-INF/config.sav
file.  I plan on changing the save code to put the new gbeans into
the config.xml file for 1.0, so the the configuration directory is
static.

-dain