geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject gbuild: dream to reality
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:44:16 GMT
On Oct 26, 2005, at 2:01 AM, David Blevins wrote:
> When I close my eyes and think big, I see a large federation
> consisting of smaller groups of machines from individuals and
> companies sharing some common building/testing infrastructure, open
> to and co-maintained by members of the community projects, building
> all our code all the time and testing it on every variety of OS, VM
> and Database imaginable....

I'm happy to say...I so nailed this.  We've got it, it works, it
rocks.  It's running right now!

For those who haven't been following the gbuild commit logs over the
last two weeks, I've taken Continuum, ActiveMQ, and a whole lot of
long nights and days and created a system that can push continuum
builds onto a jms queue (activemq) where they are picked up by GBuild
Agents (slimmed and extended version of continuum) running in the
gbuild network. The results are then pushed onto a topic where they
are aggregated by another agent in the gbuild network.  Putting more
work on the queue is as easy as dropping a properties file in a
directory.

At the moment, have the following machines chugging away on a mix of
tck and other work:

  - stan.gbuild.org
  - kyle.gbuild.org
  - kenny.gbuild.org
  - cartman.build.org

Going to get the Chariot Solutions boxes chef.gbuild.org,
timmy.gbuild.org, and jimmy.gbuild.org running tomorrow.

A really cool aspect of this is that we can throw more machines at it
in the middle of a run.  It's just jms queue/consumer underneath so
new consumers can be added at anytime!  The whole thing is also
really extendible and not specific to tck testing, so we could work
in performance testing and whip up results agents to analyze the
performance data.  Sky is the limit!

Off to get some sleep finally... Will send more technical information
tomorrow.  Just wanted to give everyone the good news.

Thanks again to everyone (Simula, Mergere, Chariot, Dain) for
donating hosting, boxes, and manpower to get GBuild going.  Can't
wait to get the AMD boxes in the mix too.  I'm really excited about
all this and can't imagine it going any better.

-David