geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kresten Krab Thorup <k...@trifork.com>
Subject Re: Copyright dates
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 13:12:26 GMT
On Nov 10, 2005, at 6:12 PM, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:

> Kevan Miller wrote:
>>
>> Is there an official policy for Copyright year? How rigorous are we
>> expected to be? ASF must have a policy and I'm confident that
>> we're not
>> complying... Do we need a plan to (attempt to) rectify these
>> oversights
>> prior to V1?
>
> The copyright year should be the year the work was created.
> Sometimes you see ranges of years, but AFAIK that's essentially
> meaningless at the legal level, and only informative at the
> human level.

So how should this be handled?  In software-world "works" are things
that end up being modified quite often.  In this context, which is
the correct year of creation - when it was originally initiated/
conceived (first set of curly-braces written in a .java file), or
when it was last modified?  Or perhaps when it was last modified
substantially?

Kresten