geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: m2: flushing out our dependencies
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 05:08:48 GMT

On Nov 8, 2005, at 7:23 PM, David H. DeWolf wrote:

> Sure.  I'm willing to help out.
>
> To start with can you provide a breif intro to your progress so
> far. I've taken a look at gbuild in svn (http://svn.apache.org/
> repos/asf/geronimo/gbuild/) and don't see a pom or any traces of m2
> migration. I've also looked and can't find any branches.

Added.  But really, it's the main Geronimo deps I'm worried about.
This was just the eye-opener, for me anyway.

> It appears as though there is a pom in the trunk. Is that also
> considered gbuild?  Sorry for my ignorance!

No problem.  To give the idea a little structure, I created a
directory called m2assembly and added in all the dependencies from
our geronimo/trunk/modules/assembly/project.xml.  I used the magic
bash/perl goo I posted last week to replace all the ${foo_version}
entries with the actual versions from etc/project.properties.  Then I
removed anything from the geronimo groupId as those would get built
during an m2 build of geronimo.

  svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/gbuild/m2assembly

So that little project contains all our known dependencies more or
less.  There are 100 of them to plow through, possibly some
duplicates and maybe a few we don't need anymore.  There is no code
in the m2assembly project to speak of, but it's more than enough to
start the process of hunting down and patching/creating poms for the
things we need.

I added these files:
   m2assembly/bad.txt
   m2assembly/unkown.txt
   m2assembly/missing.txt

...which I'm hoping we can use to put a little order on the effort so
this can be a multi-person job.  I put everything from the pom.xml
into the unkown.txt file for now.  We can delete what's good (or make
a good.txt file) and move stuff into missing.txt and bad.txt.  I put
everything in the format of 'groupId:artifactId:version'.  JIRA might
be something to consider once we are further along.

If you come up with ideas on how to tackle all this, great!  Just
kind of throwing this together ad-hoc.  Feel free to get creative.

This little guide describes how to fix, add, improve the metadata
(poms) in the ibiblio maven2 repo.

   http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-maven-evangelism.html

Thanks for volunteering David!

-David