geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [consolidation] next steps?
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 11:06:16 GMT
I'm not on the incubator PMC, so this is just my personal
understanding. I may be getting in over my head :)

On 11/9/05, Jules Gosnell <jules@coredevelopers.net> wrote:
> are you saying that these licensing constraints do not apply in the
> incubator - that we just dump all our code in there, no matter what,
> provided that licensing issues are resolved before promotion out of it ?

Sorry, I was unclear. I don't think I'd recommend this, but it is
possible as code in the incubator is covered by a disclaimer and no
releases can be made until IP and licensing has been cleared.

> please clarify 'depend on/include' - by this do you mean 'physically
> package together with your binary distribution' or 'import at compile
> time, into classes that are shipped in the binary distribution'.

I think both of these constitute a derivative work falling under the
GPL. As far as I know, the only way to combine with GPL applications
is by executing them in a separate process.

> > LGPL may be
> >possible, but only if optional and not distributed with the
> >application.
> >
> so it is OK to 'import' LGPL code at compile time, as long as you don't
> ship it ?
>
> > There is ongoing discussion around this.
> >

> so it may not actually be OK :-) ?

right.
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/www-legal-discuss/200508.mbox/%3c96D75844-B15A-45E3-BF8D-5CF4517A09E2@apache.org%3e

> thanks for helping with this.

No problem. I think it would be best to ask these questions of
general@incubator and legal-discuss when it comes to specifics.

Cheers,
- Brett