geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [consolidation] next steps?
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 21:50:30 GMT
This is one of the requirements of incubation, so it will be taken
care of there - but it's good for those communities to be aware of it
when making their decision.

The GPL doc you refer to is actually about the combining of ASL and
GPL works being possible at all, regardless of the requirements here.

The following are some guidelines, though it'd be best to consider
individual cases on legal-discuss@ which will have to happen during
incubation.

As for what you can depend on/include as an ASF project, GPL is not
possible because it affects the license of the whole. LGPL may be
possible, but only if optional and not distributed with the
application. There is ongoing discussion around this.

The key point is that the ASF retain its ability to distribute
software that doesn't have conditions beyond those in the ASL (yes,
there are some exceptions out there).

Cheers,
Brett