geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <brett.por...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [vote] gbuild subproject
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:50:29 GMT
On 11/1/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
> But I don't really understand what gbuild is yet.  Is this really
> Geronimo-centered, or broader with Geronimo as a piece?  Was there
> any thought given to Ken's suggestion of working with Gump since they
> do similar things?

Just on this - its quite a different problem space to gump. I'm not
sure about the current development, but the existing gump doesn't do
distributed builds, and is more of a massive integration test than a
continuous build tool.

It's certainly worth keeping in mind for the future as it develops,
but at least in my experience with Gump I don't notice any points of
collaboration yet. That said - it wouldn't hurt to bounce the message
over to the general@gump.apache.org list as an FYI.

Another note: as more projects start to depend on Geronimo libraries
(especially specs), it will be more important for them to be included
in Gump (I think some of them already are, but not all).

BTW, I think this gbuild setup is a great thing for Geronimo and
related projects, and also great feedback for the Maven project and
Continuum - I look forward to working with you and seeing what can
come out of it.

Cheers,
Brett