geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Constructing deployment plans from Configuration GBeanData
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 07:08:49 GMT

On Nov 17, 2005, at 9:21 PM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:

>> On Nov 17, 2005, at 4:45 AM, Vamsavardhana Reddy wrote:
>>
>> > If deployment plans are inside the archive (ear, war, etc.) they can
>> > be obtained from config-store. If the deployment plan is supplied as
>>  > an external file to the deployer and if the original file is not
>> > available, the only way to get any information on the configuration
>> is
>> > from the Configuration GBeanData obtained from the kernel at runtime
>> > or from deserializing config.ser files under config-store. For
>> > analyzing any problems after an application is deployed, deployment
>> > plans will certainly be helpful.
>>
>> If you think this is really valuable information, I think a better
>> approach is to store the plan(s) in a known location in the
>> configuration so they may be retrieved directly.
>  I thought of this as an option because it will really simplify a lot
> of things, and I can avoid writing a configuration decompiler :o).
> But, then will there be any instances where the user will not want the
> deployment plan to be stored in the server as is?  Will "not want to
> store the deployment plan in the config-store" be ever a users' reason
> for supplying deployment plan as an external file to the deployer?

Well, I think there will be few cases where the original deployment
plan will be unavailable from other sources, and I don't particularly
like including it in the configuration.  However, I don't think this
has much to do with the desirability of keeping the plan separate from
the module you are deploying: I think this is always a good idea.  I do
think that some people will want to conceal their plan and if we do
provide a way to include it in the configuration this choice must be
optional.

thanks
david jencks