geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Proposal: apache-wide specs project
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:59:52 GMT

On Nov 8, 2005, at 6:30 PM, Brett Porter wrote:

> This is an interesting idea.
>
> What scope do you envisage? Would it only be JSRs, or would, for
> example, stdcxx in the incubator be able to join?

it should be open for anything

> Do you see any issues with having a single project but specs that
> encompass a variety of technologies that might not overlap?

I don't.

The original motivation when we first concocted this scheme was to
get rid of the multitude of implementations of the same thing, which
sometimes lead to problems due to multiple factories in the classpath.

The one that bit me hard was JAXR, because both Scout and Geronimo
had an implementation of the API, and the API has a factory, and .....

So each spec should be relatively independent, but this project would
provide neutral territory for the projects.

geir

geirm@apache.org