geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: FW:
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 21:43:58 GMT

On Nov 21, 2005, at 3:57 AM, Abdul Salam, Sajida ((Cognizant)) wrote:

> Hi,
>     Me and my colleagues are working on a fix for Bug #555. Currently
> we have implemented a hybrid transaction code such that based on
> whether the database driver being used is interruptible or not, a
> timer based transaction timeout or a timeout based on the current time
> is used. This implementation is still in a raw state and we need to
> test this further. Please send me your views on this implementation.

That's an interesting idea!  How do you determine if the connector is
interruptible?  What advantage does this combined approach offer over
always using a timer?  I had thought that the main technical difficulty
with a timer based approach was to assure that there was enough
synchronization around the transaction status so that it would actually
work reliably, without introducing excess synchronization that would
slow down speedy transaction unnecessarily.  Have you carefully
reviewed your code for synchronization?  In any case I'm very glad to
see more people looking at this code!

There are some additional problems we encountered with a timer based
approach that we have not yet resolved satisfactorily with Sun.  Either
we have not been able to convey our views successfully or the Sun spec
committee believes a timer/interrupt based approach is not consistent
with the spec.  I have not been able to find any support for what
appears to be Sun's position on this in either the jta or xa specs.

thanks,
david jencks