geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: gbuild: dream to reality
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:22:38 GMT
> On Oct 26, 2005, at 2:01 AM, David Blevins wrote:
> > When I close my eyes and think big, I see a large federation
> > consisting of smaller groups of machines from individuals and
> > companies sharing some common building/testing infrastructure, open
> > to and co-maintained by members of the community projects, building
> > all our code all the time and testing it on every variety of OS, VM
> > and Database imaginable....
>
> I'm happy to say...I so nailed this.  We've got it, it works, it
> rocks.  It's running right now!
>
> For those who haven't been following the gbuild commit logs over the
> last two weeks, I've taken Continuum, ActiveMQ, and a whole lot of
> long nights and days and created a system that can push continuum
> builds onto a jms queue (activemq) where they are picked up by GBuild
> Agents (slimmed and extended version of continuum) running in the
> gbuild network. The results are then pushed onto a topic where they
> are aggregated by another agent in the gbuild network.  Putting more
> work on the queue is as easy as dropping a properties file in a
> directory.
>
> At the moment, have the following machines chugging away on a mix of
> tck and other work:
>
>   - stan.gbuild.org
>   - kyle.gbuild.org
>   - kenny.gbuild.org
>   - cartman.build.org
>
> Going to get the Chariot Solutions boxes chef.gbuild.org,
> timmy.gbuild.org, and jimmy.gbuild.org running tomorrow.
>
> A really cool aspect of this is that we can throw more machines at it
> in the middle of a run.  It's just jms queue/consumer underneath so
> new consumers can be added at anytime!  The whole thing is also
> really extendible and not specific to tck testing, so we could work
> in performance testing and whip up results agents to analyze the
> performance data.  Sky is the limit!
>
> Off to get some sleep finally... Will send more technical information
> tomorrow.  Just wanted to give everyone the good news.
>
> Thanks again to everyone (Simula, Mergere, Chariot, Dain) for
> donating hosting, boxes, and manpower to get GBuild going.  Can't
> wait to get the AMD boxes in the mix too.  I'm really excited about
> all this and can't imagine it going any better.

Wow, this is spectacular work David!!! I'll have to buy a beer or
three in L.A. next month ;-). And a HUGE thanks to everyone who was
involved in this effort!

I'd like to get involved in this so that I can understand how to add
servers and additional builds. Also, how does the resource utilization
on these machines currently look? Do we have any type of monitoring
system set up to watch that yet? If not we should consider getting
OpenNMS or Nagios (or something similar) running to handle this task.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/