geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Startup scripts - thoughts on PID file for Geronimo
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:33:33 GMT
On 11/20/05, John Sisson <jrsisson@gmail.com> wrote:
> PID file thoughts (long term enhancement)..
>
> I noticed that catalina.sh in Tomcat 5.5.12 has the ability to store the
> PID in a file where the file name is supplied the CATALINA_PID
> environment variable.
>
> I am wondering if geronimo's startup script could somehow get hold of
> the domain and server names for the Geronimo instance to be started.
> Geronimo's startup script could store the PID for Geronimo (when
> Geronimo is started)  in a file whose name is constructed using the
> domain and server names and stored in a central location that Geronimo
> knows how to find.
>
> This would enable one to look in a directory and see all the PIDs for
> Geronimo instances currently running.  This would allow us to create
> diagnostic/management scripts that can use this information.  It would
> also allow Geronimo itself to read the file to find the PID if we or any
> third party wanted to provide any integration of operating system
> information in the console (would only be available for operating
> systems where PID information is available).  Just thinking out loud...
>
> When we are run multiple instances of Geronimo, where will users
> configure the domain and server names that are used as part of the GBean
> names?

I hazard a guess that this would be configured from the Console. But
the clustering software will need to be made aware of this information
somehow so it would need to be involved with the startup/shutdown
cycles. I'm going to CC the WADI dev@ list on this to get that team
more involved in this discussion.

Bruce
);'