geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Proposal: apache-wide specs project
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 23:43:58 GMT
On 11/8/05, Brett Porter <brett.porter@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is an interesting idea.
>
> What scope do you envisage? Would it only be JSRs, or would, for
> example, stdcxx in the incubator be able to join?
>
> Do you see any issues with having a single project but specs that
> encompass a variety of technologies that might not overlap?
>
> I think it is fine to start with an org.apache.specs group either way
> as it isn't going to clash with anything.
>
> I think it would be good to discuss this more broadly, but I'm not
> sure of a suitable apache wide list other than community@
>
> - Brett

> > Many people have talked on and off about setting up an apache-wide
> > specs project.  With the recent move to separate our copies of the
> > specs and build them with maven 2 perhaps this is a good time to try to
> > get this started.
> >
> > Here are some steps we could take:
> >
> > -Identify projects with java spec implementations in them.  They
> > include at least:
> >    geronimo
> >    tomcat
> >    pluto (have already expressed interest)
> >    axis
> >    scout (?)
> >
> > --Approach the projects to see if they are interested
> >
> > --Appropriate the M2 groupId org.apache.specs
> >
> > --Based on the support we get  proposing a new top level project.  This
> > is going to be an unusual project in that it's expected that changes
> > will only take place when new specs come out :-)
> >
> > We could all start using the groupId org.apache.specs even before an
> > actual project was set up.  This might just cause confusion though.

I think these are all very good ideas. I can't see any reason to
exclude any of the items Brett mentioned, but we don't need to wrangle
it all at once. How about just starting it with the Java related specs
that are needed right now and letting it grow organically over time?
I'm sure other poeple and projects will join in.

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project
http://www.castor.org/