geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Snyder <bruce.sny...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [consolidation] next steps?
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 18:42:16 GMT
> Good point Ken.  How about we consider this thread the invite?  So
> formally:
>
> We would like to invite the projects that Geronimo works with to
> consider joining Geronimo as a Subproject.  If your project would
> like to join, we will either need a proposal to incubate the project,
> or a proposal to donate the code.  In the case of incubation, the
> current committers will have immediate access to their code in the
> incubator, and in the case of an donation, the current committers
> will have to earn commit on Geronimo.

I'm not sure of the order in which all steps must occur, but we (the
Geronimo PMC) must also vote to accept each project per the Incubator
FAQ:

1.4. Someone has proposed that their code/project be donated to
project X within the ASF for continued development. What do we need to
do to accept the code?

The Incubator will only accept code for incubation if a PMC (project
management committee) or the Apache board has voted to accept it. So
when a proposal for the donation of code occurs, the project in
question should discuss the proposal internally, leading to a decision
by that project's PMC on whether or not to accept the code (and
potentially the project surrounding it) into the fold.

If the PMC agrees, then the incubator can be approached, and the code
accepted for incubation. The grant needs to be recorded by following
the procedure outlined at the Software Grants section of the ASF
Licenses page.

Beyond this, once a project has been voted in, the following
additional requirements must be met:

a) project license (must be AL 2.0)
b) the copyright must be assigned to the ASF
c) all committers must file a CLA with the ASF (if one is not already on file)

Please note that it is possible for some (or most) of these projects
to pass right on through the Incubator as long as the exit criteria
are met:

http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Exitting+the+Incubator

Also, here's the template that must be filled and submitted upon
importing each project into the Geronimo SVN repo:

http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/public/trunk/site-author/projects/incubation-status-template.html?view=markup

Bruce
);'

The Castor Project