geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Who understands the LDAP login module?
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 02:27:34 GMT
Hah!  I thought this LDAP module was pretty complicated.

I just looked at the WebLogic OpenLDAP login module.  It has *40*
different settings.  :)

But anyway, with what little I know, I agree with Jeff -- will there
ever be a case where you can look up groups for the user using
something like "memberOf" and you wouldn't get the same information if
you search the other way, for groups where that user was listed as a
member in the group record?  WebLogic talked about something called
"dynamic groups" which I gether means there's not actually a group
entry for the group in LDAP, so maybe the userRoleName could be used
to detect those?

Aaron

> This is my point.  Unlike a database...I can index the memberUID (used
> as an example in a group schema) which gives me the list of users that
> belong to that group. If I need to know which group my use belongs to ,
> the indexed attribute (memberUID) will rapidly tell me.  I honestly
> think the userRoleName is not necessary.
>
> Jeff
>
> Catalino Pineda Jr. wrote:
> >
> >   Let me correct myself on a previous message :)
> >
> > |    "   the value of the attribute will added to the roles obtained
> > using userRoleName property. "
> >
> >        should  have been
> >
> >      "  the value of the attribute will added to the roles obtained
> > using  roleSearchMatching  property. "
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Cata
> >

> > Catalino Pineda Jr. wrote:

> >>    The purpose of such is to support directory server configurations
> >> where group assignments are determined using an attribute rather than
> >> putting user contexts within the group context (or they can be a
> >> combination of both).  The option  would allow the login module to
> >> connect to directory servers configured as such. Duplication on this
> >> sense would be at the directory server level.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Cata

 In