geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Remote Deployment
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 18:59:20 GMT
On 11/1/05, Dave Colasurdo <davecola@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I agree that a simple servlet is a step in the right direction.  My
> point was that the servlet shouldn't be part of the web console
> application but rather a different new "file transfer" application that
> contains this one servlet.  This avoids the problem of having to figure
> out which web console (jetty or tomcat) to use.

No it doesn't.  It just changes the problem to which "file transfer"
application (Jetty or Tomcat) to use.

Also, even if there was only one, the problem is the same -- without
hardcoding the app name, how can the deployment plumbing find out
which application is hosting the servlet it needs?  And even if the
name was hardcoded, how do you determine which web container it's
running in and which ports the web container is listening on?  (I
think we're much closer to having solutions for those issues, though.)

So far, I'm still planning to use an empty GBean as a token and start
by figuring out what app is hosting that GBean and then what container
that app is in and then what connectors are available for that
container.  I will be content to hardcode the URL mapping for the
servlet within the application.

Thanks,
    Aaron