geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Aaron Mulder <ammul...@alumni.princeton.edu>
Subject Re: Remote Deployment
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 18:04:14 GMT
> Guys, I think we are getting a little to far ahead of Aaron's
> proposal.  Having a servlet to do remote deployment would be a huge
> step forward for Geronimo, given that remote deployment currently
> doesn't work.  Sure in the future it would be nice to support remote
> deployment with out requiring a web container and more granulized
> update support, but for now how about get the basics working?

Right -- the challenge is the same regardless of what application it
ends up in.  But my intention is to support deployment from anything
that can speak JSR-88, be it command-line, IDE, etc.

> Why does the console have a different name in Tomcat and Jetty?

I assume so it can be deployed to both at the same time.  But the
truth is, I'm not sure, I wasn't the one who made it that way.  :)

> Also, will this be a pure http(s) deployment tool or will the tool
> use both the JMX-RMI and http(s) protocols?  I would prefer a pure
> http client so it can work in the maximum environments?

Well...  That's possible too but it would make the servlet more
complex.  I'd prefer to start by running everything the way we do
right now except for offloading the file upload.  After that, we can
try to put the rest of the protocol into HTTP(s).  For what it's
worth, any of these changes should be invisible to a JSR-88 client,
save perhaps some change to the connect URL.

Aaron