geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: validators
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2005 06:53:06 GMT

On Nov 17, 2005, at 9:06 PM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> Could someone point me to where validation is being done on the
> deployment plans prior to deployment? Is there a single entry point
> for validation or is it being done within each of the builders?
> Thanks

Process goes something like this:

builder determines through some black magic that the stuff you are
asking about is something it can deploy

builder finds some files in likely places for the spec dd (if
appropriate) and geronimo plan (if present)

builder reads xml files into xmlbeans XmlObjects

builder applies a lot of transformations to change pre-j2ee1.4 dds to
1.4 dds, and to update geronimo plans in various ways in an attempt to
preserve backwards compatibility even when we upgrade schemas.

builder asks xmlbeans to validate against the schema.  The usual method
to call is SchemaConversionUtils.validateDD.

The process for web module plans is a little different since you can
supply either a generic schema with container specific stuff or a
container specific plan.  A generic plan is converted into a plan for a
specific web container (currently jetty or tomcat).

Hope  this explains something :-)

david jencks

View raw message