geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject The Installer
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:24:58 GMT
It would be good if we could get the installer working well for 1.0.
Here are some of the things I think need to happen.

1. The necessary izpack jars need to get into some maven repo,
preferably a public one such as ibiblio.  They might be on there way
there already, otherwise we should figure out which jars are needed and
file an upload request.

2. Installer building should occur in its own module in assemblies.  It
would be best if the installer can be built using a maven plugin, but
if that seems impractical we can use a bunch of jelly for now.  There
is an izpack plugin but I think it is maven 2 only (??).

3. The installer currently has a page where you check the major
features you want, and on the following pages you configure them.  This
seems like a basically acceptable paradigm to me, but there is a
problem in that all the "following pages" display even if they are
empty.  I've been told that moving the <createForPack> element out  one
level to the panel element will fix this.

4. The installer currently works by installing everything in a full
geronimo install, and not starting the pieces you don't want.  This is
rather unsatisfactory unless you sell disk space.  The geronimo
assembly is moving to use of the packaging and assembly plugins, and we
can leverage that with the installer.  What I am thinking of is
including a maven repository inside  the installer jar that includes
everything from a full geronimo install with everything, including all
the .car files for the configurations.  Then  we can imitate or use the
assembly plugin to copy the configuration dependencies into the install
target and install the actual configurations.

5.  We should find a way to check that no port conflicts have been

6. We need to construct a config.xml file for the target install.  This
could be done by adding bits associated with each configuration, or by
removing chunks from a "universal" config.xml for the configurations we
didnt' install.

7.  Somewhat similarly, we need to include the schema files (for human
reference, they aren't used by geronimo) for the bits that are included
in the install target.  This should proceed by fixing the xmlbeans
plugin to put schemas in the same place the xmlbeans ant task does, and
by extracting all such schemas from our dependencies.  This needs to be
added to the assembly plugin: it is not installer specific.

There's probably more to do, but this is what I've thought of so far.

david jencks

View raw message