geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Installer progress
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:46:35 GMT
I've been working with Eric on the installer.  I think we have quite a
few of the pieces in place, although there is still a lot to do with

I modified the assembly plugin to allow subclasses to set the source
repository, the target repository, and the target config-store.  One
the the classes now accepts a configuration car file, and copies it an
all its dependencies into another repository.  My idea is that this
will be the main step in building the installer.  We will supply a list
of all the configurations we want available, and get a repository that
we will pack up into the installer that contains all the car files and
all their dependencies.  (We'll also need the lib and bin directories
at least, but the contents of these are fixed).  I created a new
modules assemblies/j2ee-installer that does this (although the list of
configs is copied directly from the jetty server and needs all the
tomcat specific cars added to it).

I'm assuming that we will be able to package this repo into the
installer jar without much trouble, but I don't know how to do that

We should be able to use the regular assembly plugin
LocalConfigInstaller class when the installer is run to install, from
the repository inside the installer jar, the configurations into the
target config store and all their dependencies into the target
repository.  I haven't figured out how to do that yet either.  I'm not
sure if a custom action is sufficient or if we have to write some kind
of custom panel as well.  I beileve the LocalConfigInstaller will be
able to copy stuff out of a jar file if we supply a "jar URI" for the

david jencks

View raw message