geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Editable files other than .bat and .sh files and CRs LFs
Date Thu, 01 Dec 2005 07:08:02 GMT
Currently if you build a Geronimo distribution on Windows, and install
on a *NIX platform, files such XML and property files will contain
carriage returns.

This is ugly if you are attempting to edit an XML plan using something
like the vi editor that displays the carriage returns as ^M.

This also is a problem for the viewable files in the root directory of
the install, such as the README.txt file.

We could fix this by using the fixcrlf task (in the same place I did for
GERONIMO-1232) and making the assumption that the zip distribution will
only be used on Windows and the tar.gz distributions only used on *NIX
platforms. This would allow people to use native editors on their
platform (e.g. vi or notepad on windows) without having any problems.

Is this a reasonable assumption to make?  Of course we could explicitly
state on the download page what the difference between the distributions
would be.

John

Here is an example of me trying to edit an XML file using vi on Solaris
(when built from Windows):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>^M
<!--^M
^M
    Copyright 2004 The Apache Software Foundation^M
^M
    Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");^M
    you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.^M
    You may obtain a copy of the License at^M
^M
       http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0^M
^M
    Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software^M
    distributed under the License is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,^M
    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or
implied.^M
    See the License for the specific language governing permissions and^M
    limitations under the License.^M
-->^M
^M
<!-- $Rev: 292333 $ $Date: 2005-09-29 08:09:15 +1000 (Thu, 29 Sep 2005)
$ -->^M
^M
<!--^M
A security realm available to be used by sample applications.^M
^M