geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jan Bartel <j...@mortbay.com>
Subject Re: Statistics Management and Jetty/Tomcat
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:01:38 GMT
Aaron,

The package to look at with viewCVS at sourceforge is here:

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/jetty/Jetty/extra/jsr77/src/org/mortbay/jetty/servlet/jsr77/

The JSR77 stuff is instrumented by inserting an o.m.j.s.jsr77.Jsr77Filter
in front of each servlet defined for a webapp. This filter collects
the JSR77 servlet statistics. The stats are exposed to JMX via the
o.m.j.s.jsr77.jmx.Jsr77ServletHolderMBean at the objectname expected
by the spec. The mbean interrogates the filter instance to get the
stats.

To turn on JSR77 for Jetty, you:

1) add these lines to the jetty.xml config file:
  <Set name="WebApplicationConfigurationClassNames">
    <Array type="java.lang.String">
      <Item>org.mortbay.jetty.plus.PlusWebAppContext$Configuration</Item>
      <Item>org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.JettyWebConfiguration</Item>
      <Item>org.mortbay.jetty.servlet.jsr77.Configuration</Item>
    </Array>
  </Set>

2) run Jetty with jmx enabled:
java -Dmain.class=org.mortbay.xml.XmlConfiguration -DSTART=extra/etc/start-plus.config -jar
start.jar extra/etc/jettyplus-jmx.xml

Note that the above documented instructions are given for the JettyPlus server,
but should work with the standard Jetty server so long as the jsr77.jar built from the
$JETTY_HOME/extra/jsr77 package is on Jetty's classpath.

I gather that for the web console, you are looking not only at the JSR77
servlet stats, but want to apply JSR77-type metrics to the container-specific
stats as well?

cheers
Jan