geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: error in geronimo-connector-1.0.xsd
Date Wed, 30 Nov 2005 16:32:03 GMT
Sachin,

Thanks for the links. They were helpful, and it allowed me to
investigate further and Google this issue.  Yep...you are correct, the
imports are not transitive...which just seems crazy to me.  Here is the
link to the spec:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-xmlschema-1-20041028/#src-resolve

In particular... 3.15.3(4.2.2)

Its not so clear...you have to read it several times to get that the
transitivity does not exist.  Based on majority consensus of this issue,
it appears you are correct.

So you have changed my mind ;-)

Are you getting this to clear up the security xsd?  I still have
problems there.

Jeff

Sachin Patel wrote:
> Still trying to hunt down an official statement in the specification,
> couldn't find it at first glance, but in the meantime I did find other
> postings..
>
> http://www.idealliance.org/papers/dx_xmle03/papers/03-04-03/03-04-03.html
>
> "It should be noted that XSD imports have a little-known property: they
> are not transitive."
>
> As well as...
>
> http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/article.php?id=1193&group=eclipse.technology.xsd

> Jeff Genender wrote:
>>

>> Sachin Patel wrote:
>>> I personally think this fix should go in, not because a particular
>>> IDE or modeling tool does not tollerate it, but because its recommend
>>> as best practice or required by specification.  So if its true that
>>> imports aren't transitive, then the import should be added.
>>
>> I have to agree with DJ on this one.  If its us, then obviously we
>> need to fix it.  If its eclipse, then they need to fix it.  Based on
>> your statement, do you have a copy of the blurb that states the
>> imports do not follow through from other imports?
>>
>> The fact it works in other IDEs and XMLBeans parses it, leads me to
>> believe its an Eclipse issue.  In fact running a schema validation in
>> Oxygen answers it as fully validated...and I tend to believe Oxygen as
>> they are one of the leaders in XML/XSD toolsets.
>>
>> However, I am more than happy to change my views if this is truly a
>> specification issue.
>>
>> Also, I tried that import in the security XSD, and it does not seem to
>> get rid of the error.
>>
>> If we do need to include the import, your patch needs to be this:
>>
>> <xs:import namespace="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"
>> schemaLocation="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml.xsd">
>>
>> Your patch currently references a deprecated xsd.
>>
>> Jeff
>>>
>>> Sachin

It was

 <!--   right