geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject System.exit(int) codes used by org.apache.geronimo.system.main.Daemon
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 02:55:11 GMT
Currently in error situations the Daemon code uses exit code values of 1
- 7 (basically a different number is used whenever an exception or error
is detected in different parts of the code.

The deploy tool just uses exit code 1 in error situations.

I am thinking the Daemon should also just use an exit code of 1 to
indicate an error to be consistent.

I can see a bit of uglyness in the future adding extra error checking to
the Daemon will require finding the next available (unused) exit code.
Currently the exit codes are in order from the top of the program to the
bottom, but this won't be the case in the future once we start inserting
code.

In the future, users may also argue a precedent has been set (using a
number of exit codes) and they now want us to start translating certain
exceptions into specific exit codes.  Do we really want to head down
this path?

If it is decided that we should keep the exit codes, then we should at
least document them.

Thoughts?

John