geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Server Shutdown & Reboot issues
Date Tue, 22 Nov 2005 16:45:45 GMT

The console currently has a task to shutdown or reboot the server.

Shutdown isn't a problem ... it just invokes kernel.shutdown() followed
by a system exit.  (Although the visual results to the user are slightly
different depending upon the configuration most likely because of
differences of synchronous/asynchronous variations during shutdown).

However, for reboot it attempts to spawn a new thread and from that
thread invoke kernel.shutdown() followed by an invocation of Daemon.main
with no parameters.  And this doesn't work very well at all.

Should we invest the time now to resolve these problems?  I think the
resolution of these problems could get a bit sticky and would continue
to be fragile if we don't integrate capabilities directly into the
kernel for restart.  It also makes me wonder if we should also provide a
restart from the command line if we support it in the console.

The failures from the reboot vary according to the configuration.  I've
only tried this with the default configuration, jetty only, and tomcat
only ... but this is the results:

Jetty only
  - Gets an error while starting G-Bean
"geronimo:type=NetworkService,name=EJB" and indicates it is in the
failed state.  This was Caused by: java.net.BindException: Address
already in use: JVM_Bind.  In the error log it looks like the port was
4201.  However, the things (at least for the console) appear to work
normally after the restart.

Tomcat only
  - Doesn't get any errors, but results in the JVM terminating without
an attempt at restart.  I haven't tracked down yet who is doing the
system exit but there isn't much in the log to indicate a failure.

Both Jetty & Tomcat (Jetty on 8080, Tomcat on 8090)
- Gets a whole bunch of error on restart - starting with the same error
as Jetty only above plus numerous errors from Tomcat in BaseModelMBean,
Registry, Connector, JkMain.  However, once again the console appears to
function appropriately (of course it is running on Jetty).

Joe

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn@earthlink.net