geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject Startup scripts - thoughts on PID file for Geronimo
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:32:47 GMT
PID file thoughts (long term enhancement)..

I noticed that catalina.sh in Tomcat 5.5.12 has the ability to store the
PID in a file where the file name is supplied the CATALINA_PID
environment variable.

I am wondering if geronimo's startup script could somehow get hold of
the domain and server names for the Geronimo instance to be started.
Geronimo's startup script could store the PID for Geronimo (when
Geronimo is started)  in a file whose name is constructed using the
domain and server names and stored in a central location that Geronimo
knows how to find.

This would enable one to look in a directory and see all the PIDs for
Geronimo instances currently running.  This would allow us to create
diagnostic/management scripts that can use this information.  It would
also allow Geronimo itself to read the file to find the PID if we or any
third party wanted to provide any integration of operating system
information in the console (would only be available for operating
systems where PID information is available).  Just thinking out loud...

When we are run multiple instances of Geronimo, where will users
configure the domain and server names that are used as part of the GBean
names?

Thoughts?

John