geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From John Sisson <jrsis...@gmail.com>
Subject [LONG] Re: Startup Scripts - foreground and background
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 06:24:23 GMT
I am reviewing Dave's startup patches ( GERONIMO-1166 ) and have a
couple of ideas for comment.

[1]. I propose we provide a geronimo.sh file that is modelled on
Tomcat's catalina.sh file (
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/container/tc5.5.x/catalina/src/bin/
), as a large number of users would already be familiar with its syntax
and environment variable naming conventions and it would be good if we
had some consistency across Apache products.

geronimo.sh would support options such as:

jpda start    - Start Geronimo under JPDA debugger
run             - Start Geronimo in the current window (same as Dave's
proposed -foreground)
start           - Start Geronimo in a separate window (same as Dave's
proposed -background)

Also make startup.sh consistent with Tomcat's startup.sh and move the
redirection logic and foreground/background logic to geronimo.sh.

If we are consistent with Tomcat it means that if an option isn't passed
to geronimo.sh (e.g. start) then usage information will be printed to
the terminal. If users invoke startup.sh, it in turn invokes geronimo.sh
with the start option (consistent with Tomcat).

I am happy to make these changes if I have no objections.

[2]. File name used for redirected output when using startup.sh -background

    Currently the patch redirects output to a startupProgress.log file.
I am thinking the file should be renamed to geronimo.out (consistent
with Tomcat's catalina.out) since it may contain more than startup
messages over the life of the process.

[3]. Improving format of progress messages in redirected output when
using startup.sh -background

For the startup output to not appear garbled in the file that output is
redirected to (due to the carriage returns generated by
ProgressBarStartupMonitor) we probably need a modified version of
ProgressBarStartupMonitor that outputs a line when a configuration is
starting/started (without the update thread that updates the line approx
every 500ms that the ProgressBarStartupMonitor has).

I initially thought we could use the -quiet option, but that results in
no progress being output and it would be nice to be able to look at the
geronimo.out file to see what is happening rather than having to look
through possibly heaps of messages in the log4j log files.

It would be also be helpful if the output redirected to the geronimo.out
file also has the summary of listening ports and started application
modules & web applications.

[4]. Proposed new Geronimo startup options:

-interactive (default)
        Specify this when output is sent to an interactive
terminal/console.  During startup (if -quiet is not specified) the
progress message for a configuration will be updated approx every 500ms
(using carriage returns to move the cursor on the display to the
beginning of the current line to enable the progress message to be
updated.  Mutually exclusive with the -noninteractive parameter.

-noninteractive
        Specify this when output is being redirected to a file or
printer.  During startup, a new message (each message on a new line)
will be issued during different stages startup. Mutually exclusive with
the -interactive parameter.

The above option could also be stored in case in the future we want to
enhance shutdown processing to show some progress messages.

The startup.sh script would pass -noninteractive if the process is
started in the background.

[5]. New method on StartupMonitor interface

A new method setInteractive(boolean b) could be added to the
StartupMonitor interface and invoked by the Daemon class before the
systemStarted(kernel) method is called.

Comments?

Thanks,

John