geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [LONG] - Tomcat Examples in Geronimo - needed for v1
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 21:30:01 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

> Now...we do have a solution.
>
> We can place their jars in our repo, so we own those versions (i.e.
> servlet-examples-geroniomo-1.0.war) and then they clearly won't affect
> other Tomcat users.

+1

I assume we are talking about placing their WARs in our repo..

This approach has the following benefits:
- No need to maintain and build the tomcat example source.  Remember we
have no current plans to extend these examples.  We are merely a consumer.
- We can name it whatever we want (or create a deployment plan) without
affecting any other project.
- We can make minor text changes in the html file w/o forking the entire
example code base.
- We only resync the samples (i.e. WARs) when we provide a new version
of Geronimo(v1, v1.1, v2..)
- We can have a simple expedient resolution.

> Or...just add the source to our repo and roll our own.  These are just
> examples, so I don't see any problem with this.
 >
 > Well keep this in mind...and we need to really consider this.  Because
 > of the very nature that they are examples...people will want to see the
 > code.  I would think that if we are including the Tomcat examples, we
 > should include the code in some form.  I think its not very
 > user/developer friendly to include example wars, then tell people if
 > they want to see them, please go to the Tomcat site and download their
 > tar ball.

-1

The source for the samples are included in the WARs.  They can be pulled
into any IDE.  Geronimo shouldn't fork Tomcat's examples and therefore
forever own the build and maintenance merely because we want to consume
the WAR files.  If a user wants to dig deeper into the examples, we
should give clear credit to Tomcat as being ground zero for the samples.

-Dave-