geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jacek Laskowski <jlaskow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [LONG] - Tomcat Examples in Geronimo - needed for v1
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:28:02 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

>> Well, no exactly if you supply geronimo-web.xml in both. I'm pretty
>> sure it won't make any harm to anyone who would like to use them, does
>> it?
>

> Yes.  If someone uses them outside of Geronimo, this causes a problem.
> i.e. If someone writes their own embedded Tomcat in some other product,
> they will have this as an issue.  The "fix" for this is to include a
> Tomcat context.xml with the wars that sets up the proper context-root.

Hey Jeff,

Oh, come on. We won't satisfy all wishes and won't likely know them all
in advance. I understand it as a Maven naming convention, actually. If
someone bothers to 'write their own embedded Tomcat in some other
product', (s)he will have more troubles along the way and I would not
call it an issue.

> Now...we do have a solution.

And what was the issue? ;)

> We can place their jars in our repo, so we own those versions (i.e.
> servlet-examples-geroniomo-1.0.war) and then they clearly won't affect
> other Tomcat users.

It sounds as a possible solution and I wouldn't be such a strong
proponent of the earlier proposal if others find it workable.

> Or...just add the source to our repo and roll our own.  These are just
> examples, so I don't see any problem with this.

-1. We've got lots of sources to maintain (and more are on their way)
and sync'ing these samples with Tomcat's repo solely to add two simple
plans would introduce an unnecessary burden to us.

> Jeff

Jacek