geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [LONG] - Tomcat Examples in Geronimo - needed for v1
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:15:17 GMT

Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> Jeff Genender wrote:
>> Because its not just us that affects this.  Its anyone outside of
>> geronimo who uses these jars in the fashion that they are named.  It
>> will likely cause them more JIRA issues for why their example wars
>> don't work, with the answer being the name of the war is in the URL.
>> So it may be a negative for them.  We to get their input on this
>> before doing it.
>>

> I assumed that the version-level being part of the war filename is just
> part of the landscape when using ibiblio as a remote maven repository.

It is. But the servlet deployers use the name of the war/jar.  We also
do this in Geronimo.  Tomcat uses context.xml to get around this and we
use geronimo-web.xml.

> Consumers of the repository need to account for this and provide a
> mechnism for overriding the context-root for the application when
> appropriate.  My $.02..

They have a method for overriding this...its called the context.xml
file.  They just don't include it with the examples.

> Of course, as you point out, the opinion that really counts is the
> Tomcat community.  Have/can you approach them with the issue?

I have not approached them on this point.