geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [LONG] - Tomcat Examples in Geronimo - needed for v1
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:14:06 GMT

Jacek Laskowski wrote:
> Jeff Genender wrote:
>> Ok...I can do #1, but we have a problem.
>>
>> I could get the servlet-examples-5.5.12.war and
>> jsp-examples-5.5.12.war to the ibiblio repo...but what happens is,
>> since we have no deployment plan with them, the default URL will become:
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/servlet-examples-5.5.12/
>>
>> and
>>
>> http://localhost:8080/jsp-examples-5.5.12/
>
> Well, no exactly if you supply geronimo-web.xml in both. I'm pretty sure
> it won't make any harm to anyone who would like to use them, does it?

Yes.  If someone uses them outside of Geronimo, this causes a problem.
i.e. If someone writes their own embedded Tomcat in some other product,
they will have this as an issue.  The "fix" for this is to include a
Tomcat context.xml with the wars that sets up the proper context-root.

Now...we do have a solution.

We can place their jars in our repo, so we own those versions (i.e.
servlet-examples-geroniomo-1.0.war) and then they clearly won't affect
other Tomcat users.

Or...just add the source to our repo and roll our own.  These are just
examples, so I don't see any problem with this.

Jeff