geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Anders Hessellund Jensen <...@trifork.com>
Subject Geronimo ORB progress
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 10:00:26 GMT
Hi all,

This is to let you all in on the progress with the Geronimo ORB
implementation.

We have been working on writing a test framework, that would allow us to
  coordinate and run ORBs in separate JVMs. The test framework is not
100% polished yet, but it works, and it facilitates very easy
implementation of multiple-VM unit tests.

We expect to contribute a patch within this week, which will contain a
basic, working "Hello World" corba test.

We have had some frustrations here at Trifork. It is very difficult to
for us to work together on the code without being able to commit the
code to a source repository, especially on a rapidly changing project
like the ORB. Of course we can submit patches, but these will, in the
optimal case, take at least a few hours and perhaps several days to get
committed to the repo.

Whats worse, this situation with the code in the repo is significantly
behind, makes it virtually impossible for people other than us in
Trifork to work on the orb.

I would like to hear some community response to this. Optimally, we
would like to gain commit access to the Geronimo repo. I understand that
you will not just hand out commit access to everyone, and that this has
to be deserved. I am confident that we at Trifork will contribute enough
code to become committer on Geronimo in the future, however, we need a
solution to this problem now.

Do you have any suggestions to what we should do? Should we setup a
separate source repository for example at Sourceforge? - We could then
regularly sync this repo with the Geronimo repo, and everyone would be
able to check out the very latest version of the code.

Any other ideas?

Best regards,
Anders