geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Shutdown scripts
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:48:29 GMT

Jeff Genender wrote:

> Dave Colasurdo wrote:
>
>> The shutdown scripts are a step forward in usability over manually
>> killing the java process via CTL-C.  While quite simple, CTL-C does
>> not seem very user friendly and should not be the default mechanism.
>

> I really don't believe there is a default mechanism, IMHO.  I think we
> are offering multiple ways to do the same thing.  The CTRL-C would be
> heavily used by developers.  The shutdown script could be used by people
> using a daemon or backgrounding the server (which is easily done on both
> Windows and *nix systems) or a remote server.  The console would/maybe
> be used by mouse-clicking administrators.
>
> I would surely hope that in a prod environment one is not running the
> server in a terminal window ;-)
>

>> However, it does seem strange that a user needs to open a new window
>> to shutdown the server.   Seems like the initial startup command
>> should return the  command prompt back to the user so that shutdown
>> can be issued from the same window.  One way to accomplish this is to
>> have the startup script launch a new window that controls the java
>> process (and output the startup messages) while the initial prompt is
>> returned to the user.  This would allow the shutdown to be issued from
>> the initial window.
>

> For a developer (and me being selfish), running in a terminal window is
> not strange and it seems to be the norm from a command line perspective,
> rather than the exception.
>
> IMHO, ss a developer, sending the server into the background is not
> appealing.  I think if one wants control over their terminal, they could
> issue a startup.sh& (notice the ampersand) to background the process.
> Quite possibly we could also add another script called
> startup_background.sh (or bat) that could so this as well.   We could
> also create daemon scripts for the different platforms.  Wasn't there a
> JIRA issue for an NT Service for Windows?  We could add init.d scripts
> for Unix too.

I agree the current behavior is appropriate for a developer.  I was
thinking more about end users. Similar to your suggestion, should we
consider adding an option to the startup.sh|bat script to put the
process in background?  Actually, I'm wondering if the default behavior
(startup.sh|bat w/o any options) should be geared toward end users and
would run the process in background.  And specifying the option
(-foreground) would allow the process to be run in the current window
for developers.

Of course, windows service and init.d are also useful.  I think both
proposals are worth pursuing

Will look to see if there are current JIRAs open on these..