geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <>
Subject Re: Shutdown scripts
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:40:28 GMT

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
> The shutdown scripts are a step forward in usability over manually
> killing the java process via CTL-C.  While quite simple, CTL-C does not
> seem very user friendly and should not be the default mechanism.

I really don't believe there is a default mechanism, IMHO.  I think we
are offering multiple ways to do the same thing.  The CTRL-C would be
heavily used by developers.  The shutdown script could be used by people
using a daemon or backgrounding the server (which is easily done on both
Windows and *nix systems) or a remote server.  The console would/maybe
be used by mouse-clicking administrators.

I would surely hope that in a prod environment one is not running the
server in a terminal window ;-)

> However, it does seem strange that a user needs to open a new window to
> shutdown the server.   Seems like the initial startup command should
> return the  command prompt back to the user so that shutdown can be
> issued from the same window.  One way to accomplish this is to have the
> startup script launch a new window that controls the java process (and
> output the startup messages) while the initial prompt is returned to the
> user.  This would allow the shutdown to be issued from the initial window.

For a developer (and me being selfish), running in a terminal window is
not strange and it seems to be the norm from a command line perspective,
rather than the exception.

IMHO, ss a developer, sending the server into the background is not
appealing.  I think if one wants control over their terminal, they could
issue a (notice the ampersand) to background the process.
Quite possibly we could also add another script called (or bat) that could so this as well.   We could
also create daemon scripts for the different platforms.  Wasn't there a
JIRA issue for an NT Service for Windows?  We could add init.d scripts
for Unix too.

> Also, if we ever support sharing one binary installation that can start
> multiple instances of geronimo (each with it's own unique configuration)
> then we will also likely need this behavior.
> -Dave-

View raw message