geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Genender <jgenen...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Shutdown scripts
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:40:28 GMT

Dave Colasurdo wrote:
> The shutdown scripts are a step forward in usability over manually
> killing the java process via CTL-C.  While quite simple, CTL-C does not
> seem very user friendly and should not be the default mechanism.

I really don't believe there is a default mechanism, IMHO.  I think we
are offering multiple ways to do the same thing.  The CTRL-C would be
heavily used by developers.  The shutdown script could be used by people
using a daemon or backgrounding the server (which is easily done on both
Windows and *nix systems) or a remote server.  The console would/maybe
be used by mouse-clicking administrators.

I would surely hope that in a prod environment one is not running the
server in a terminal window ;-)

> However, it does seem strange that a user needs to open a new window to
> shutdown the server.   Seems like the initial startup command should
> return the  command prompt back to the user so that shutdown can be
> issued from the same window.  One way to accomplish this is to have the
> startup script launch a new window that controls the java process (and
> output the startup messages) while the initial prompt is returned to the
> user.  This would allow the shutdown to be issued from the initial window.

For a developer (and me being selfish), running in a terminal window is
not strange and it seems to be the norm from a command line perspective,
rather than the exception.

IMHO, ss a developer, sending the server into the background is not
appealing.  I think if one wants control over their terminal, they could
issue a startup.sh& (notice the ampersand) to background the process.
Quite possibly we could also add another script called
startup_background.sh (or bat) that could so this as well.   We could
also create daemon scripts for the different platforms.  Wasn't there a
JIRA issue for an NT Service for Windows?  We could add init.d scripts
for Unix too.