geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Colasurdo <davec...@earthlink.net>
Subject Shutdown scripts
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2005 15:21:23 GMT
The shutdown scripts are a step forward in usability over manually
killing the java process via CTL-C.  While quite simple, CTL-C does not
seem very user friendly and should not be the default mechanism.

However, it does seem strange that a user needs to open a new window to
shutdown the server.   Seems like the initial startup command should
return the  command prompt back to the user so that shutdown can be
issued from the same window.  One way to accomplish this is to have the
startup script launch a new window that controls the java process (and
output the startup messages) while the initial prompt is returned to the
user.  This would allow the shutdown to be issued from the initial window.

Also, if we ever support sharing one binary installation that can start
multiple instances of geronimo (each with it's own unique configuration)
then we will also likely need this behavior.

-Dave-