geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Sachin Patel <sppat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Netbeans integration and tooling
Date Tue, 08 Nov 2005 14:20:29 GMT
Dustin Little wrote:
> As a user I think it would make the most sense to distribute it as part
> of the serverplugins module just like its weblogic, jboss and websphere
> counterparts. Also once the plugin is included in the netbeans release
> its presence might generate additional interest in geronimo and inspire
> more converts... I mean users. What was the reason for the eclipse
> plugin being moved to g?

Several reasons.  The existing eclipse server adapters that are part of
eclipse serve primarily as a showcase for server support that provide
examples and basic function. None
of those adapters rely on the their associated runtimes itself thus
making it extremely lightweight and ideal for packaging within WTP.
Adapters that are being
planned to me more full-fledged and have a direct dependency on its
runtime, such as the case for Geronimo, need to be hosted externally.

There is work being done as we speak to allow better integration between
Eclipse WTP and external adapters so that users do not have to know
about those other  runtime types and
they have the ability to dynamically install these plugins as WTP will
already know about them.

The same thing will be done with the server itself, an eclipse user will
not have to go to Apache to install the server.  This can be done
automatically whenever a "new sever" is defined within eclipse.

Regarding the complexity of the extensibility of Eclipse/WTP.  Yes I
agree its more complicated, however almost every aspect of Eclipse and
WTP is extensible and unfortunately this can lead to some complexity
within their APIs.  I think once WTP 1.0 is released along with a good
set of documentation it will receive much positive feedback.  Its always
frustrating trying to develop a product that requires another product
which is in development stage as well.  :)

Sachin