geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Jules Gosnell <ju...@coredevelopers.net>
Subject Re: 1.0 Feature List - Input Requested
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2005 16:32:21 GMT
Jeff Genender wrote:

> Aaron Mulder wrote:
>
>> The things I'd like to see in 1.0 are:
>>
>>  - More console work
>>  - Remote deployment
>>  - Hot deploy directory
>>  - Bundled JavaMail with SMTP support
>>  - Separate Jetty and Tomcat ZIP/TAR distributions
>>  - A working installer distribution
>>  - Bug fixes
>>
>> I'm not that keen on introducing clustering, WADI, or extra LDAP
>> integration if they are going to impact the stability/testing for 1.0
>> -- that's the kind of stuff I'd prefer to put in a branch until after
>> the release.
>

> No reason that clustering would impact stability at all.  They are
> just GBeans in a normally off position since 95% of the users won't
> need them on.

Agreed  - so no downside.

On the upside, Clustering is one of the major features that separates a
small scale server from an enterprise-strength implementation. Having
some form of clustering in the 1.0 will send out a powerful signal that
we intend to be a serious contender.

Jules

> LDAP is fully integrated and was part of the M5 release.  Whats the
> issue here?
>

>> Thanks,
>>    Aaron
>>
>> On 11/7/05, Matt Hogstrom <matt@hogstrom.org> wrote:
>>
>>> I saw the Virtuas announcement last week based on their Geronimo
>>> support.  Very
>>> nice.  One thing that caught my eye on their web site was 36 days to
>>> ApacheCon.
>>>   It made me realize that in order to make 1.0 we only have 30
>>> something days to
>>> make it.  With CTS and Thanksgiving in between there is not a lot of
>>> time to get
>>> all the things done we want.
>>>
>>> Here is a list of items that have been going around on the list and
>>> wanted to
>>> get people's feedback in terms of what has to be there for 1.0 and
>>> my initial
>>> SWAG as to the importance.  Please feel free to comment / change the
>>> items below .
>>>
>>> Console patches and UI updates   (example User & Group Mgt for
>>> console).
>>> Gbean for Tomcat for clustering (Jeff G)
>>> WADI integration (tech preview possibly, not required)
>>> Directory restructure (will be done after TCK is verified... we want
>>> to control
>>> the number of changes)
>>> JavaMail
>>> LDAP Apache Directory (using Tomcat)
>>> Debug Console
>>> Remote Deploy
>>> DayTrader
>>> Install - maven update needed
>>> Hot Deploy (file based)   (Jacek)
>>> Packaging changes (Maven respository)  wait for Dave J.  Dain
>>> indicated that
>>> maven code won't make 1.0.
>>>
>>> In addition to that there are a number of JIRAs out there as well.
>>> I noticed a
>>> lot of activity in getting them closed so that is excellent.  I'll
>>> finish
>>> adjusting the fix version today to 1.0, 1.1 and 1.x.  Once that's
>>> complete and
>>> we agree on the JIRAs, features, etc. we can see where we'll land.
>>>
>>> My apologies for being behind on this.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>
>>> Matt

crystallises out around it."