geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] archival of old, unsupported, tags
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 11:13:12 GMT

On Oct 31, 2005, at 12:30 PM, Alan D. Cabrera wrote:

> I propose that we remove the old, unsupported, tags M1-M4 and place
> them in geronimo/archive/tags.
>

> [ ] +1 archive the old tags
> [ ] 0 Don't care
> [X] -1 keep the tags where they are

I'm of mixed feelings here, resolving to keeping them where they are.

First, I believe that we need to keep our history in place and
intact.  I know that deleted SVN resources can be recovered by going
back to the rev number, but that's not the same.

On the other hand.... and this is a new motivation for considering
change...  one of the "defects" of SVN compared to CVS is that tags
and branches are utterly artificial and are "peers" to the trunk
content, resulting in a massive first time checkout if you go far
enough up the tree.  it also results in very long update tree walks.

(This problem first became obvious to me in Jakarta Commons, when I
used to do stuff there, because every project was in root :

jakarta-commons/
          jexl
          clogging
          beanutils

and every project had it's own trunk/ and branch/  directories.  So

$ cd jakarta-commons/
$ svn update

was *painful*, but needed, because you had interdependencies in the
tree.    This was never a problem in CVS of course, because TAGS and
BRANCHES were "hidden underneath" the trunk, if you will..

So maybe we need "parallel trees".  This doesn't solve Alan's issue
of perceived maintenance or something, but would get us out of the
increasingly painful situation where svn update from /geronimo/ will
get longer and longer.  This is only going to get worse, especially
as subprojects are created.

So maybe :

geronimo/
      trunk/
      site/
      devtools/

geronimo-bt/ (for "branches and tags"... please fix name...)
       /trunk/
            branches/
            tags/
       site/
            branches/
            tags/
       devtools/
            branches/
            tags/

I understand the naming is suboptimal, but it illustrates the idea.

geir

geirm@apache.org