geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Binary images for Geronimo 1.0?
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 19:05:27 GMT
With Geronimo 1.0 quickly approaching, I think we should talk about
how we would like to package the binaries for release.  This has
downstream impact on tck testing, and since I'm working on the TCK
build right now, I'd like to know what we are going to need to test.
So to get the discussion going, this is what I think would be ideal
and what we need at the minimum:

Ideal:
geronimo-installer: The user can choose between Tomcat and Jetty.
Only the resources for the web server they choose are installed.
geronimo-tomcat.(zip | tgz):  Contains a Tomcat only version of
Geronimo with no Jetty resources.
geronimo-jetty.(zip | tgz):  Contains a Jetty only version of
Geronimo with no unnecessary Tomcat resources.

Minimum:
geronimo-installer: The user can choose between Tomcat and Jetty.
Resources are installed for both, and the installer just sets the
chosen web server to boot by default.
geronimo-tomcat.(zip | tgz):  Contains a full image of Geronimo with
both Tomcat and Jetty resources, but only Tomcat will start by default.
geronimo-jetty.(zip | tgz):  Contains a full image of Geronimo with
both Tomcat and Jetty resources, but only Jetty will start by default.

What do you think?

-dain