geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Building the geronimo servers using the packaging and assembly plugins
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:45:06 GMT
I've been working on building the geronimo server with the packaging
and assembly plugins.  There are a few loose ends but I believe the
resulting servers work.  The build process is not yet completely
automated, so here is an outline of what to do.

Please try it out and report problems.

1. build geronimo + openejb using maven -o, maven -o m:rebuild, or some
such.  You can stop the build when you get to the assembly module, and
certainly when you get to itests.

2. build the plugins explicitly:
cd plugins
maven -o multiproject:install
cd ..

3. build the configs:
cd configs
maven -o multiproject:install
cd ..

This step uses the packaging plugin to build all the configurations we
need for both jetty and tomcat servers, and installs them in your local
maven repo as .car files.

4. build the servers:
cd assemblies
cd j2ee-jetty-server
maven -o clean default

cd ../j2ee-tomcat-server
maven -o clean default

------------------------------------

Warning:
The configIds of these configurations are incompatible with the
configIds used by the previous assembly.  If you deploy anything on
these servers and you specify a parentId or an import you will have to
modify them.

I have not tried to deploy any applications to either of these servers,
but the welcome and console apps seem to work fine.

Known limitations:
The database for the juddi server is not yet constructed
The j2ee schema files are not yet included in the server

I've had some problems with the console on tomcat, but I think the
version in svn currently works.  I'm trying to finish up some changes
on my machine and check in the "next version" of tomcat directory
setup.

Thanks!
david jencks