geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Old branches (was: Old tags in Geornimo)
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 19:15:04 GMT

On Nov 2, 2005, at 10:51 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2005, at 9:18 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:
>

>> On 11/2/05, Dain Sundstrom <dain@iq80.com> wrote:
>>

>>> I suggest next time we are creating a milestone, preview or tag only
>>> (unsupported) release, we don't create the temp branch in branches.
>>>

>> I respectfully disagree with this idea and my reasons are simple -
>> tags are meant to mark a point in time and *should not change* (i.e.,
>> commits to a tag should not happen). If a tag needs to change (i.e.,
>> something needs to be committed to it) then that tag figuratively
>> becomes a branch (and should therefore be moved to the branches dir).
>>

> You know, I think the big problem here is we are trying to apply
> CVS terminology and dogma developed due to the limitations of CVS.
> In CVS, the dogma is you never create a branch from a tag, always
> branch then tag.

Guys, you are totally agreeing.  To paraphrase Dain, "It should be
fine to create a branch from a tag, forget CVS dogma."  To paraphrase
Bruce, "If we need to updated a tag, move it to the branches dir at
that point, so it's not a tag anymore."

And my thoughts are the same as well, "If we need to update a tag for
some unknow reason in the future, let's move it (or copy it with a
new name) to the branches directory at that point."

Did I capture everything correctly?

-David