geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [consolidation] next steps?
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2005 16:34:28 GMT

On Nov 9, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Bruce Snyder wrote:

> On 11/9/05, Geir Magnusson Jr. <geirm@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> if you import GPL at compile time, the virality of the GPL requires
>> that you license under the GPL, so clearly that's not allowed.
>
> Geir, do you know if this includes the use of reflection against a
> class so as to avoid a compile time dependency?

I'm not sure.  I don't think about GPL much.  It is a runtime thing,
and from the GPL preamble :

"Activities other than copying, distribution and modification are not
covered by this License; they are outside its scope.  The act of
running the Program is not restricted..."

which supports my understanding that runtime activity such as you
suggest is ok...

However, IANAL, and I tend to stay away from GPL-ed code.  It's scary :)

>> GPL isn't alllowed at all.
>
> My understanding the above statement, but I'm asking my previous
> question because it appears that the stance may be softening a bit.

No, because you still can't distribute the code, keep it in SVN/CVS,
etc.  your user could go get the code and try to make it work, I
suppose....

geir

geirm@apache.org