geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: tomcat and jetty schemas
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 15:51:27 GMT

On Oct 6, 2005, at 10:14 AM, Sachin Patel wrote:

> I'm a little confused on the introduction of the following schemas...
>
> geronimo-tomcat-config-1.0.xsd
tomcat specific config inside geronimo-web schema
> geronimo-tomcat-1.0.xsd
standalone tomcat schema
> geronimo-jetty-config-1.0.xsd
jetty specific config inside geronimo-web schema
> geronimo-jetty-1.0.xsd
standalone jetty schema

> Does this now mean, that developers creating applications must create
> different deployment plans based on a given container?  Is the
> geronimo-web-1.0.xsd now obsolete or does it default to a given web
> container?

geronimo-web plans get deployed to the container specified by the
default namespace specified in the switcher module builder.

     <gbean name="WebBuilder"
class="org.apache.geronimo.j2ee.deployment.SwitchingModuleBuilder">
         <attribute
name="defaultNamespace">http://geronimo.apache.org/xml/ns/j2ee/web/
tomcat-1.0</attribute>

> Rather then developers having to manage multiple plans for a given
> webmodule to swap between containers, could these schemas be
> refactored so that optionally both configurations can be are embedded
> within a single plan. This way users only have to manage a single plan
> that could contain configurations for one or both containers, but a
> top level attribute would enable the chosen container.

You can do this now.  I think it is also essential to allow
schema-driven deployment, so I think we need geronimo-tomcat and
geronimo-jetty schemas.  This is how we can provide configurations for
the console for tomcat and jetty.

Hope this is clear...

thanks
david jencks