geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Configuration Dependencies
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 06:37:40 GMT

On Oct 9, 2005, at 7:07 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

> OK, let's say I have a database pool configuration, a JMS resource
> configuration, and an EAR that depends on both of them?  Is there a
> way to express that?  You know, have the one EAR plan say that it's
> parent is "org/apache/geronimo/System" (assuming that's still best)
> but also it depends on "org/something/Database" and
> "org/something/JMS" so that it guarantees that those two will be
> started before the EAR?

parentId="org/apache/geronimo/Server">
<!-- System should probably only be the parent of the RMINaming
config-->
<import>
    <uri>org/something/Database</uri>
</import>
<import>
    <uri>org/something/JMS</uri>
</import>

Almost certainly Server will be an ancestor of both DB and JMS so you
can leave it out.

> Also, I think David J answered this before, but I can't find the
> message.  What's the difference between an "import", and "include",
> and a "dependency"?  According to geronimo-config-1.0.xml, it looks
> like all three have the type "dependencyType" (though I thought maybe
> one was supposed to refer to a different configuration like I'm trying
> to do above).

dependency means the jar is in the URL[] of the current configs
classloader
include means that plus the jar is copied verbatim into the
configuration itself
import means that the configuration named is a parent of the current
classloader.

thanks
david jencks