geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What do we do about fixable problems in M5?
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 14:18:58 GMT
Without a really big disclaimer on the download page, my guess is that
approximately 100% of new-to-Geronimo M5 Installer users will run into this
problem. All you have to do is keep hitting "Next". I did. I just never
started my "installed" server, because I'd already tested the zipped/tarred
version of code (my mistake).

I don't think an errata is sufficient and I don't see how we can ignore such
a visible issue. This may be a bit heretical, but one option is not to
release the installer. Although this is a server issue, you don't hit this
problem in normal usage when running from an zip/tar "install" (at least I
haven't run into any other problems, am I missing something?).

Most first-time users will choose the install download thinking they're
making their lives easier, when actually, they've just made their lives more
difficult. Although some last-minute hard work went into the installer, IMO,
the M5 installer is of limited value for first-time Geronimo users. I also
think that the current installer is actually a configuration utility in
disguise -- we should start separating concerns...

BTW, I assume that actually fixing the underlying problem means rerunning
the TCK tests? Thus the reticence for fixing?

--kevan