geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo examples
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 21:10:32 GMT

On Oct 18, 2005, at 1:58 PM, Dave Colasurdo wrote:

> I've just opened two JIRAs (GERONIMO-1087, GERONIMO-1088) to integrate
> the Tomcat servlet and JSP examples into geronimo..  Please review and
> give them a quick test drive..
>
> A few questions..
>
> 1) The applications are already built over on the Tomcat project and
> included in the tomcat binary distribution as an exploded war.  So,
> the tomcat distribution contains both the class files and jar files in
> the format that the application expects.  I've added the exploded wars
> into the geronimo application tree and use maven to create the wars.
> Basically keeping the tomcat format of the files intact.  I noticed
> the patch I created shows some files (class, jar) as non-displayable
> files.  It's unclear to me whether  these are valid filetypes to
> deliver as patches?  BTW, I view the applications somewhat like
> dependencies and not really planning to fork the code base..
>
> 2) The jsp-examples application would not deploy on geronimo until I
> made changes to remove LF(x0A) characters from the web.xml file..
>
> I suspect the same error occurs when the Tomcat web container is used.
> I've fixed the immediate LF problem in web.xml but was wondering if
> geronimo has a problem in this area.. (since the application deploys
> fine in standalone Tomcat)..  Is a JIRA needed here?
>
> The error was:
>
>   15:19:17,614 WARN  [JettyModuleBuilder] Web application does not
> contain a WEB-INF/geronimo-web.xml deployment plan.  This may or may
> not be a problem, depending on whether you have things like resource
> references that need to be resolved.
>  You can also give the deployer a separate deployment plan file on the
> command line.
> org.apache.geronimo.common.DeploymentException: <url-pattern> must not
> contain LF(#xA)

There's some disagreement whether the servlet spec allows trimming
leading and trailing white space from url-patterns.  Right now we are
not trimming them.  There's a jira issue saying we should:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1008  You are not the
first to notice that including white space causes problems right now.

thanks
david jencks