geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [Daytrader] Converting to Maven 2
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 18:19:31 GMT

On Oct 19, 2005, at 9:49 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> [...]
Do you have some way to do this outside a j2ee server?  If not, what
does this mean?
> - automated deployment to Geronimo or other container(s) (using Cargo)
Does cargo support jsr-88 yet?
> - ability to build for different target environments
What does this mean?  IIUC the ear is supposed to be portable, and the
deployment plan is not included in the ear.
> - distribution of a packaged zip containing not only the EAR but also
> the
> container's configuration. This is to version control the container's
> config
> files and make the app "executable" and separated from the container's
> install.
I'm not sure what you mean.  We have a couple of possibly relevant
capabilities of which I will mention the maven 1 plugin to install a
geronimo instance and do stuff like start/stop it, deploy/undeploy
apps, etc.

> - automate the database setup
This would be great.  I think we need a generic solution for this
> - possibly convert some of the daytrader app to use xdoclet to
> demonstrate
> how it works with Maven2
>
> After thinking this through, I think I'm going to work in my own repo.
> This
> is the easiest and fastest solution for me. Once I have finished, I
> can then
> offer this full m2 build to the Geronimo project and you can decide to
> do
> whatever you want with it. I won't be touching much of the daytrader
> source
> files so it shouldn't be that hard to incorporate afterwards.

I think this is great, and would like to know more about what you are
up to.  Please keep us informed!

thanks
david jencks