geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Eishay Smith <eish...@us.ibm.com>
Subject OSGi Container in Geronimo
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 17:55:36 GMT

I'm part of the Eclipse Open Healthcare Project (EOHF), a first Eclipse
project that targets an industry specific client framework over RCP. One of
the problems we face in our architecture is the need to run OSGi bundles on
the server side.

The outcome is an idea to have an OSGi container inside Geronimo. Such a
container should act like any other container in an application server,
such as EJB, Web and Spring containers.

The container design should strive to have OSGi bundles be unaware whether
they run in a client or server side. At first there will be some
restrictions on the bundles, and wile the container will mature and OSGi
will supply relevant features, those restrictions will shrink.

The OSGi bundles should be accessible by other GBeans, this way EJBs,
Servlets and misc GBeans should be able to make use of Eclipse plugins
(ones that does not utilize UI). Plugins that could be used are, for
example, ones that implements messaging stack or doing data manipulation.

Comments and ideas are welcome.

Thanks,
Eishay