geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From siss...@insession.com
Subject Re: xdoclet
Date Mon, 17 Oct 2005 13:10:46 GMT
Hi Sachin,

If you could help out that would be great as I probably won't have a lot
of time over the next few weeks to work on this.

I was initially thinking about automating the download of the xdoclet code
and invoking the ant build of xdoclet as a first step to get things
moving...  But I didn't view this as a long term solution.

If you download Xdoclet 1.2.2 source and build the geronimo module, you
end up with a xdoclet-geronimo-module-1.2.2.jar file in target/lib.

Some issues\questions that need to be investigated:

 * Is the generated xdoclet-geronimo-module-1.2.2.jar compatible with
previous versions or future versions of XDoclet?

* How do we version it?  The plan was (at least until Geronimo stabilises)
to have the Geronimo XDoclet module developed (and versioned) independent
of the XDoclet project.

* Does XDoclet 1.2.2 only look for modules with a 1.2.2 version number in
their names?

* What happens if Eclipse moves to a newer XDoclet release in the future?
Will we be supporting multiple versions of Eclipse in the future?

* Can the eclipse auto update facility install the appropriate geronimo
Xdoclet module?

* Need to identify the files that are used in the Ant build of an Xdoclet
module and determine whether we can develop a maven equivalent.

I noticed that there has been brief discussion of on the Xdoclet-devel
list of splitting the hibernate module from the main release.  I would
imaging they would have to resolve similar issues we are facing.

Sorry,  I have probably given you more questions than answers.

John