geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: OSGi Container in Geronimo
Date Fri, 21 Oct 2005 19:08:32 GMT

On Oct 21, 2005, at 11:34 AM, Eishay Smith wrote:

> Dain,
>
> I've talked with Jeff McAffer about it last week and I understood that
> there where some talks about using the Equinox OSGi somewhere in the
> infrastructure and not as a container.

It will be a bi-directional integration, so OGIi bundles will be able
to see geronimo services and geronimo services will be able to see
bundles (and services in bundles).  Using your terminology it will be
a container.

> Will the implementation you are
> working on will actually enable running OSGi bundles taken from
> Eclipse?

Yes, except Geronimo doesn't use extension points, so there will be
nothing to "extend", although the bundles will be able to see the
other bundles that have extension points.

> Will each bundle will be a GBean or will there be one GBean which
> is an
> OSGi container that this one will contain all the bundles?

There will be a GBean for the OSGI framework, one for each bundle and
one for each service in the bundle.

> If you're goals match ours, it looks like we'll be one of your first
> costumers :-)

Great.  Having people able to test-drive the implementation right
away will make effort much more successful.

-dain